Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 May 1996 12:58:03 -0400
On Mon, 20 May 1996 16:08:57 EDT, Charles Hynson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am having a problem with local user's ability to reply to mail
>generated by Listserv from our mailing list server, listserv.westat.com.
>Local users receive all internet mail through a cc:mail SMTP gateway.
>
>The problem is that when a user replies to a list message, the To field
>becomes "L-Soft list server at LISTSERV.WESTAT.COM (1.8b)"  The
>"<[log in to unmask]>" portion of the address appears to be
>truncated.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this problem?  What can be done about it?  I
>am set to digest on this list, it would be helpful if your replied to me
>directly.

Charles,

We experience the same problem with cc:Mail at our site. It seems to ignore
the second line of the Sender: field. As long as the quoted "LISTERV part"
is added by LISTSERV, there doesn't seem to be a way around this. It is a
fault of cc:Mail. It does not occur on messages *distributed* to the list by
LISTSERV, just those sent to a specific subscriber or the owner or editor.
We have instructed editors to delete the To: field and reenter the LISTSERV
address. This is more of a problem for messages that are sent to
rank-and-file subscribers for confirmation - Subscribe= Open,confirm. Most
of them have been isolated from the Internet behind the cc:Mail program.

SETting subscriptions to DUAL also helps cc:Mail users.

Later.  Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>