Mon, 24 Jul 1995 23:55:59 -0500
On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Kevin J. Sinclair wrote:

> Would it be possible to have a modified version of the 'OK' mechanism for
> mailing lists, where the subscribe messages that came from a web site
> could be required to undergo the 'OK' process, but that messages from
> non-web sites not have the 'OK' process?

I don't understand why you would want this.  Is it on the assumption
that subs from web sites are suspect and those from anywhere else are
not?  If so I would say the assumption is faulty.

The confirm process is easy to use and is not an onerous burden on the
subscriber.  And besides deterring, at least to some extent, would be
spamers, it also helps keep out subs from sites that are going to create
errors in large quantities, all the time, which I believe was the original
thought behind it, to help cut down on error messages (could misremember,
that was several years ago).

With
Sub= Open,Confirm
Send= Editor
Editor= [log in to unmask],(AUTOCAT)
and the usenet gateway set to REVIEW

not a single one of the five or so spam attempts in the past 1 - 2 weeks
has gotten through, I've been able to stop every one of them, regardless
of where they came from.  That isn't to say none will ever get through,
but until they get a bit more sophisticated they seem to be blocked.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L