Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:52:03 -0600
On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:44:02 -0400, Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have been getting a fair number of errors for my list that are not being
>handled by listserv despite having auto-delete on.  Most are "user is over
>the quota" messages (or similar phrasing) from Yahoo, Netzero, and such
>places.
>
>I'm just curious, are the parsing algorithms for detecting hard and soft
>errors built into listserv, or are they under site admin or listowner
>control?

Neither.  It depends totally on how remote sites are reporting the errors.  Per
applicalble standards the Numeric error code is the only thing LISTSERV pays
attention to.  All 4xx or 4.x.y codes are ignored by LISTSERV and discarded as
these are Temporary errors.  Some of the 5xx or 5.x.y errors will produce
auto-deletion.  The format of the error message is also important, so that
LISTSERV can parse the message.  LISTSERV understands error messages in RFC1894
Format and most 'sendmail' style error messages.  MS Exchange message are in
none of the standard formats and are not understood by LISTSERV.