Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:01:36 +1000
>I recently added a content filter entry to my list's mailtpl but I
>misspelled the template name.  I used ">>> Content-Filter" when it
>should have been ">>> Content_Filter".  But the PUT finished with no
>error, just didn't put the filter in.
[...]
>Shouldn't this have been caught as an error?

How did you set the template up in the first place?  If you went into the
List Management interface, clicked the Templates button, then entered a
new name in the box and clicked the Create button, LISTSERV will happily
accept whatever name you enter.

If you misspell an existing template's name (or a commonly used one that
isn't present yet), LISTSERV won't complain because it's assuming you
*want* to create a template with that name.

For instance, a site may want to have slightly different SIGNUP1 templates
with modified wording to suit a particular quarter of the year.  So, they
create SIGNUP1, SIGNUP2, SIGNUP3, and SIGNUP4.  The Owner can then use
them as substitutions in the appropriate templates each time a quarter
ticks over.

Even though 'SIGNUP2' is a variation of the very commonly-used SIGNUP1
template, LISTSERV won't throw an error when the new template's created.

>The server is Lsoft's apple which is (I think) running 14.3.

Yes, it is.  You were able to fix the problem by renaming the template but
you didn't even have to do this in the first place.

One of the really good features of 14.3 is that most templates are visible
in the drop-down list, even if they haven't been created yet.  So, when
you first went to create the CONTENT_FILTER template you could have simply
chosen it from the drop-down and clicked the 'Edit Form' button.

You may first have to choose the appropriate catagory from the 'Select a
Catagory:' drop-down and click 'Refresh' before you'll see the template
you want.  Of course, the 'All templates' catagory shows everything that's
available for editing.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 Knowledge is just a click away: http://www.lsoft.com/optin.html

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.