Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:16:43 -0400
At 00:39 08/04/1999 Wednesday , Joe Clark wrote:
>>To REMOVE yourself from this list:
>>mailto:[log in to unmask]
>>If you have difficulty, run around the office and scream loudly.
>>Then write to: [log in to unmask] so we can help you.
>
>What is the status of the "listname-SIGNOFF-REQUEST" command? Does
>Listserv process it, or is it referred to the owner?

AFAIK, it is not a command, but a mail alias processed by LISTSERV.  I
just tried the 'godawful' URL which produced the mail message and sent
it.  The response was:

>Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:09:24 -0400
>From: "L-Soft list server at GUAVA.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>(1.8d)"              <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Output of your job "Pete-Weiss"
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
> > SIGNOFF I-ADVERTISING
>You are  not subscribed  to the  I-ADVERTISING list  under the  address your
>message came from ([log in to unmask]). You are being mailed some additional
>information with a few hints  on getting your subscription cancelled. Please
>read these instructions before trying anything else.

which is what a "normal" signoff command would look like for a non-subscriber.

>Frankly, clickable <mailto:> links for subscribe and unsubscribe are
>often convenient. (They *can* be done-- see individual entries at
><http://www.electricseed.com/joeclark/mailinglists.html>-- but are
>godawful long to use in an E-mail message.)

It is unclear what this means.  SIGNOFF commands still work.  'SIGNOFF'
aliases are new and a user doesn't have to type a long TO: or any command
strings, nor worry about .sig processing.