Russ Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 May 2002 11:22:51 -0500
Hi guys,

When I asked what I thought was a relatively simple question and got this
discussion started, I had NO IDEA it would generate such passion!  But I
cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed reading all the posts on this
topic.  Not only has it been tremendously educational (and entertaining),
but I can now see my way through to solving my random banner problem.

Particular kudos must go to three people - with wildly differing opinions...

1.  Paul Russell who taught me about MIME and HTML emails in very clear and
understandable language.

2.  Wayne Smith who resonates my own feelings about using new technology so
eloquently.  Yes!

3.  Douglas (Winship) who told me about the Language= NOHTML command which
converts all posts to plain text.

IMHO, the key words in all this discussion are "mailing lists."  While I,
along with Wayne, thoroughly believe in using new technology - with all the
dangers and lunacy associated with it - I believe we must play by a
slightly modified set of rules when a single post may go to thousands of
different people.  That's when plain text makes sense.  When I send in-line
pictures of my grandchildren to my family, I WANT to enhance those emails
with RED and BLUE and GREEN captions.  (Can you see the colors?  Does this
list use Language= NOHTML?)  However when I communicate to my many mailing
lists, I'm forced to ask myself if that fancy text really makes any sense -
and I'm more and more inclined to think that it does NOT.

And then to realize that the very presence of fancy HTML text is preventing
my bottom banners from appearing - crazy as that may sound - that really
tips the scale in favor of plain text.  Pending some last minute surprises,
I now know how to solve my random banner problem.

Thanks for a great discussion guys!

Russ

Dallas, Texas
972-881-1451 home, 972-489-6169 cell