Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:32:26 -0500
On 8/28/97 12:15 PM, Pauline M. Marshall <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

>On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Adam Bailey wrote:
>
>> >They even get confirmation back, saying that Listserv will now refer to
>> >them as their name insead of (No Name Available).  But, when you do a
>> >review, they still show up as: (No Name Available).
>>
>> If you want them to change their names, they need to issue new subscribe
>> commands from the exact address they are subscribed with. If LISTSERV
>> sees that the address it's receiving mail from is already subscribed but
>> the name is different, it will update the name field.
>
>Okay, pardon my stupidity here, but if you have to change the name with
>the subscribe command.....what good is the register command?

Register is not the most exciting command LISTSERV has to offer, but it
has its uses. I use Register in two cases.

First, if I'm going to be subscribing to a number of lists at once
server, my first command is to Register. Then I just do Subscribe
commands, and I can leave out my name. It makes for a little less typing.
ie:

REGister Adam Bailey
SUBscribe List-1
SUBscribe List-2
SUBscribe List-3

Second, if I'm a list owner with a particular email address (usually the
Errors-To address) but I don't want to be subscribed, I Register that
account so that the server knows my name when I issue my Delete commands.
"You have been removed from Blah-L by Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]" is
a lot more informative than "You have been removed from Blah-L by

Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "Do not take life too seriously;
[log in to unmask] | you will never get out of it alive."
[log in to unmask]   |  - Elbert Hubbard
Finger for PGP   | http://www.tezcat.com/~adamb