Sat, 21 Jan 1995 02:59:18 -0600
Eric, would you take a look at how AFD works and maybe make changes?
We've got definite problems here.

Another list at UBVM started using AFD and chose the same generic
filename filetype which we have been using for some time.  Their first
file has gone, twice, to our AFD subscribers (I think the second time
was due to updating the file due to an error in the first version).
Our people aren't happy (it was a lengthy file) and I doubt the other
list will be happy, as it was a memo about studies on administration
of a university system and some of it could be deemed "sensitive."

After going balistic at this being sent to our people I settled down
and did some checking.  The thing was definitely not in our filelist,
so it must be they chose the same generic filename filetype, right?
I've sent them a note asking them to change, as we have been using it
for some time so have "first dibs" on it.

Then, even though their file wasn't listed in our filelist, I couldn't
change our filelist without getting rid of their file. I had new material
I needed to install, so I deleted their file, which I'm sure they won't
like.  I've got our filelist locked for now and it's going to stay that
way until we get this straightened out.

What I would like to see is listowners having more control over AFD,
but I realize that would take a major rewrite of the code.  How about
at least flagging the generic fn. ft. so that once some list is using it
no other list may use it?  Yeah, I know, I can change our AFD, make it
more exclusive, but I dread having to explain, yet again, how to get
rid of the old AFD sub and get a new one for the new file designation.

Would be nice if you could do something about this in future releases.
For now I'll see what we can do locally, if I can get them to talk to
me after having deleted one of their files. :-(

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L