Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:06:31 GMT
On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:55:33 -0700, Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I've found among my subscribers an address set to CONCEAL,
>without any name that goes with it.  I though LISTSERV rejected
>subscriptions w/o names.  Is there a way to erase the name after the
>subscription has gone through, to register or something?  I
>didn't even think I-as-owner could add an address without some
>kind of name.

users may subscribe with the special format:

  SUBSCRIBE listname ANONYMOUS

This will make LISTSERV subscribe them without a name and will
automatically set them to CONCEAL.

Owner can later set them to NOCONCEAL if desired (although user can set
themselves back if desired too)

Owner or subscriber can add a real name to the subscription by

User:   SUBSCRIBE listname Real Name

Owner:  ADD listname userID@address Real Name

Because the address is the same as an existing Subscription, LISTSERV will
merely update the name field.

There is NOT a way that I have found to erase a Real Name associates with a
particular address from LISTSERV once it has been used in a posting.
REGISTER OFF does not accomplish this.

Owner or User can always  SUBSCRIBE listname * to enter a no-name
subscription.  Note this will NOT work if the same address has been
previously registered/subscribed on that host with a Real Name.  LISTSERV
will 'remember' the Real Name and will add it.
 Ben Parker .....(Oak Park IL -> Denver CO) ..... [log in to unmask]