Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:10:55 -0500
Jane Lyle wrote:

> We then contacted the network administrator
> at turbonet to try to figure out how the subscriber herself can fix the
> problem--but he says she can't; *we* have to respond to the challenge.

I am not sure I believe him here.  What would happen if she sent
a message to the owner-listname address?  Yes, it would put
her that much closer to being auto-deleted if you have that
implemented...but would it also add the owner-listname address
to her personal "whitelist"?  Or maybe if she put it in her
address book?  I would not be so quick to assume there is
nothing she can do, just because this guy says so.  Remember he
presumably thinks you are a spammer (since he - or at least his
program - apparently does not consider that a legitimate sender
might refuse to jump through hoops just to send an email) so he
is trying to "protect" her from you.  So he is probably not
going to work very hard at thinking through the alternatives.

Margaret King
Michigan State University