Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:11:10 -0500
M. A. Gilbert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Greetings. I'm a new list member, and have been lurking for a bit. I
> own about 16 lists, ranging from one of about 250 members, to several
> quite smaller. I am the Computer Coordinator for the Department of
> Philosophy of York University, so I run the dept lists. Most of the
> department lists are private and composed of different groups, e.g.,
> the graduate faculty, or undergraduate instructors, etc.
>
> My question is this. I periodically receive a notice that there is an
> error on an account that is not and, to the best of my knowledge, has
> never been on the list. There are two concerns: security of the list,
> and the annoyance of the error messages.
>
> Can anyone help?  The message is below. It is for [log in to unmask],
> and came as: GRADPHIL: Daily error monitoring report
>
> The following 1 subscriber is currently being monitored:
>
> Err First Last  Address
> --- ----- ----- -------
>                 Last error: User unknown

1: answer your direct question.  Someone subscribed to you GradPhil list
with the email address of [log in to unmask], and now their account is
no longer valid.  If you look at the list of subscribers for that list, you
should be able to locate them and remove the offending subscription (using
the web interface to listserv is quite nice in this regard).  A hint might
be to search for only subscribers who are using the address with "msn.com".

2: Since these are internal lists, you might want to consider ways to reduce
bogus subscriptions.  A couple of ways of doing this are:
  a) using the service keyword on your lists and retrict subscriptions
     to those folks with a yorku.ca address.  Yes, this means that the
     people there won't be able to use their msn.com, aol.com,
     hotmail.com, etc addresses that are legit.
  b) Making the lists Subscription=By Owner (or Closed).

Chris Barnes                                          AOL IM:  CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                                  ICQ:     3581645
Computer Systems Manager
Department of Geography                                ph: 979-458-1539
Texas A&M University                                  fax: 979-862-4487