"R.A. Vess Enterprises - Randy Vess" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 07:08:08 -0600
If someone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

I know how to accomplish what was done but don't know how to prevent
it from happening.

Someone has taken it upon themselves to make a personal attack on one
of my subscribers. This morning he/she evidently changed the setting
for my subscriber to NOMAIL. My subscriber was notified of the changes
as the perpetrator was not knowledgeable enough to use the QUIET
variable.

What is the best method to keep this from happening again? Can the
list be restricted to changes by the owners only and by using the
validate option resolve this problem?

Now on to the second situation.

The list is private and you must be a subscriber to post. Someone has
gotten around this using the same method above. He is using the same
subscriber's address to bypass the restriction. I can't say it was the
same person but I'm fairly sure it was.

Now I know there are several web bulletin boards that would allow this
to be accomplished. Is there any methods I can use to prevent
unauthorized posting to the list? This is of course discounting, for
the moment, of setting the list to REVIEW. I'm still shying away from
that option.

Here is the header from the unauthorized post. While originating from
Germany it appears to come from my subscriber.