Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:09:02 -0500
> >Yes, folks, you too can help to promote LSOFT ! ;-)
>
> All right Doug, I'm obviously not in  sales and it looks like I didn't do
> a very good job here. I guess I'm just going to have to try harder :-)

I love it! I love it!  Eric is almost back to his old form!
Of course I'm an idiot and a fool, that's been clearly demonstrated
with regularity over the years and I make no pretence of being anything
else.  But I do always enjoy the demonstration of it as I usually get
something useful from it.

> giving LISTSERV a *human face*. With all due respect, no manager is going
> to send us  a check because Douglas Winship mumbled  something on our web
> site about having a such great time running the AUTOCAT list in his spare
> time. They'll  send us a  check because they read  the story by  XYZ Inc.

Not to worry, you wouldn't get it.  As you suspected, I knew perfectly well
what you were looking for and I wouldn't be able to provide it.  However,
I don't believe I mumble, though sometimes my sentences are sufficiently
convoluted to be difficult to follow.  My fault.  My other fault is that
while I love LISTSERV and hope LSOFT rakes in buckets of (deserved) money,
I have never been able to resist twisting Eric's tail, especially when he
presents a golden opportunity.  A nudge in the ribs in this case, all in
fun as they say.  Ticklish around the torso are we?

On the topic of banners, they have their uses and I think it's a useful
feature when used properly, as I believe I have already, more or less,
said.  However, I also think it is often misused.  To sort of quote
Eric, that is my constitutional right to be a fool.

By the way, in the area of marketing, you're right, Eric, you aren't very
good at it.  Not a particularly good idea to denigrate those who
voluntarily, in their "spare" time, keep large professional lists going.
Often they have no spare time as all which might be called such is devoted
to the lists.  It isn't "spare" time, it's "made" time. And the reputation
of LISTSERV is based, to a large extent, on such listowners.

As I said, I love it! (LISTSERV, Eric, being shown to be a fool, etc.).
Let's have a bit more so you can really get back into fighting trim. ;-)
I left you plenty of openings for attack (you gave me plenty but I must
keep this brief as have to concoct a glaze for a cake my wife is taking
to the state library tomorrow (spare time, you know)). ;-) ;-) ;-)

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L