Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:07:18 -0500
We use the american.edu gateway to a newsgroup, bit.listserv.transplant, so
I've been able to ask for feedback from those of my subscribers who know how
to find it (these folks are not, as a rule, what you might call computer
literate).  This has happened to us so many times now that most have given
up contacting me when it happens.  All I've been able to tell them is that
they have to sit tight. The number of subscribers is at 411.  I've received
confirmation that addresses from MSN, AOL, Netcom, Pipeline, and others are
not receiving posts, which is not a surprise.  As I said, this has been
happening to us for some time now.  It's been 48 hours now.

To clarify, the server itself is responding promptly, replies to commands
are not a problem, but then I gather that it does not use the LISTSERV
distribution system.  From what little I've been able to determine, the
problem is at some point in the LISTSERV distribution system, and it does
not happen to other lists.

Some posts are going through the gateway to the newsgroup, so at least
american.edu is receiving.  Debug output that Peter Weiss forwarded to me
last month, the last time this happened, shows that American.edu receives
posts by a different path than any of the other addresses, if I'm reading it
right.
 AMERICAN.EDU: UGA      VTBIT    AMERICAN.EDU
The only common feature is UGA, where ever that is.  I've received no other
confirmation that posts are being received.  Headers for the posts I receive
always show the messages coming from Lsoft.com, which does not appear in the
debug output, so I'm at a loss as to how to interpret it.

I haven't received any answers yet.  From the few responses I have received
it seems that this does not happen to other lists.

>Based upon my own internal reference points, I think
>it is a mistake to _strictly depend upon_ e-mail (or the
>network) for life and death, disaster, property-loss
>situations.  The "network" is as weak as its weakest link
>(or process).  There are just too many fingers in this pie.

We use the list for discussion, news, organizing, etc., not for emergency
communications.  An e-mail list is fine for what we need.  A newsgroup
doesn't provide the same quick and easy access.  Delays of a few hours, or
individual ISPs suddenly going belly up, is not a problem.  But here we have
a LISTSERV specific problem were the list is commonly shut down without
warning for days.  If we can't determine what is so unusual about TRNSPLNT
and LISTSERV we'll be forced eventually to find some other way of setting up
an e-mail list.

>Assistance in debugging network problems OFTEN comes from
>folks on LSTOWN-L -- your fellow list-owners like Melvin,
>Eric, Douglas, Roger, Norm.

We'd appreciate any help they can provide.

>(When e-mail is sent to a LISTSERV-based list, the
>delivery mechanisms are even more complex.  Fortunately,
>there are personnel at Penn State who can help trace
>that flow.)

Do you have an address for them?

Thanks,
Mike Holloway              |* On average, 8 people a day on the waiting list
[log in to unmask]   |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
___________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
misunderstandings.
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ:
http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/bit.listserv.transplant.html or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/bit.listserv.transplant/