Betty Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:56:06 -0500
Hiya,

and Mary Schweitzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I'd like to add to this by saying the TYPE of editing I would like to do
>and be able to continue to have it say it is "from" the original poster
>-- things like reformatting, getting html language out of there, cutting
>over-long echoes of previous posts.  Basic EDITING stuff, not anything
>that changes the content.

Gosh... You guys are *sure* nice.  or you must have
more spare time than I do.  My list has about 800 or
so people on it and we see up to 150 posts per day.
It's not moderated, tho I do screen several posts from
newbies to make sure they have read the list guidelines.
After that probationary period, I set them to where they can
post directly to the list and remind them using a custom
mail template that it's *their* responsibility to keep
the list a cool place to interact.  I insist that my list
members quote sparingly and edit out all the extra
header/footer info and that they don't send html to
the list or images or attachments and that they
communicate without becoming verbally abusive (That's
all in my list guidelines).  What's pretty cool about that
is since people who have been on list for any length of
time understand why it's a good thing to do this stuff
(Because it makes it easier to not waste time looking for
what someone has said), they actually help me keep the
list from getting cluttered up.  Heck, they even get irate
when people get too sloppy, etc.  But then I guess it depends
on who your list membership is (e.g., Is the membership too
transient for it to develop into a cohesive group with
shared norms about communication, or perhaps whether the
members are people that you *have* to baby like that as a
result of their status in the organization, etc.). I'd
encourage you to monitor and teach and encourage them
to be responsible for their contributions rather than doing
it for them.  :)

Out for now,
Betty