Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:04 +0100
On Fri, 22 Nov 1996  20:22:10 -0500 Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Why was it done this way? Frankly, seems dumb. A change to the displayed
>"Subject"  should  be  independent  of how  mail  headers  are  actually
>presented.

The "Subject" field is part of  the mail header. LISTSERV supports 6 mail
header types,  plus SUBJECTHDR. This  means it can need  to send up  to 7
different types of  headers and generate 7 different  mail messages (each
of which costs  additional resources). With an  independent option, there
would be  12 different mail  headers instead  of 7. With  two independent
options, it would be 24 instead of 8, and so forth.

>Why isn't  it an independent  option? Say I'd  like to get  IETF headers
>with  the subject  line changed  to have  the listname  inserted. What's
>wrong with that?

IETF headers  are a  religious issue.  The very  concept of  changing the
subject line would violate the religious foundation on which IETF headers
are built ("Thou shalt not change the headers except to add a Message-ID:
if the message cometh from a sinful  MUA that doth not provde one, to add
a Received: line with thine own host  name and, if such is thy desire, to
add a Sender: pointing to the owner-xxx address").

>Also: "INFO  REFCARD" is still  old --  doesn't say anything  about this
>option. I would think this would be updated as part of the installation.

There's a new INFO REFCARD for 1.8c but  it might not have made it to the
kits yet. Documentation and code are updated separately.

  Eric