Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 03:35:10 -0800
> Just got this:

> >Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:15:42 -0600
> >To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
> >        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],

[ ... Snipped and comment: What the hell happened to paraphrasing to
save
[ ... bandwith .... Something like:
<snipped: close equivalent output of LISTS GLOBAL hots
<         presented with both LISTSER and list-request syntax >
[... I had it once in my mailbox ... now I've see it twice and so did
[... any owner in that To list and sub'ed to this one
  :-> Spam! Mailbomb! ... brrrr ... I got a feeling of Deja Vu
                    < insert theme of twilight zone >

Disclaimer: This is stress induced (and relieving) caustic humor
it's directed at the facts not at Lawsch-L and it is provided for
the sole purpose of educating new volunteers owner like myself.
If you feel this is list abuse, please flame fiercely .. and privately.

> >        [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
> >From: [log in to unmask] (Bill)
> >Subject: subscribe
> >
> >subscribe * [log in to unmask]
> >end

This gillb8s character is very lucky that LISTSERV is not a majordomo
:-)) Kudos to the writer of the filtering algorithm ...

Now a small improvment suggestion could part of the filter be appplied
to the -REQUEST address. In my mind this attack what targetted to
listserv lookalikes that disguise themselves as "listserv" ... But I
think it would be nice if the "command X many's to: list addresse" would
also apply to -request :-/ ... (Eric T. say yes please, I'll never speak
about LISTSERV and mainframe legacy, I swear :-) !)

For the unlucky Netscape mail user (NS has something like a limited
header space, I believed those were gone in the "object oriented
programming age" apparently not ) ... To make it short this message
rendered my copy of Netscape mail unfunctionnal until I tweaked with the
mail folders ... I successfully retrieved all messages and did not lost
anything ... (Eric T: I hereby transfer the Word integer mainframe
legacy hall of shame award to ... Netscape Mail :-)

So to other owners that had the same trouble and use Netscape Mail
Window to manage their list ... Send me an e-mail and I will gladly give
out my solution ... If volumes warrants I'll post on list ...

Now what to do: I know [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] since the bombeb
user was as an AOLer) and [log in to unmask] (citing from memory) since
it originated there) ... Is it of any good if we *all* forward the
*relevant headers* ? (no need to quote the 30-some Kb of To:, it wiould
only bomb all the abuse address :-) Do they stand a chance to catching
this mailbomb attack ? (if nothing was hacked to get in ix.netcom(?)

Or should I just forget about the whole thing since I did not loose
anything and I know that someone has just made a few thousand more
ennemies on the Net ?

PS Out of sick and perverse curiosity, how many other mailer were broken
by close to 32K of headers ? Private answers are fine ... after all they
may be monitering this list ;-)

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L