Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:15:27 -0500
Hmmm.  I am beginning to thing that perhaps there is a bug in 14.5 in it's
moderator handling.

I have 2 lists that have remained unchanged in their configuration for a
*very long time now* (~8 years).   Both lists are configured the same way
and both are exhibiting the same problem.

The list is setup with the configuration of
* Send= Editor
* Editor= (another-list)
* Moderator= my-addy
* Moderator= another-guy

The "another-list" is a hidden list to which folks who are granted
"automatic approval status" are subscribed.  It generates NO traffic on
it's own.  Both moderators are subscribed to the "another-list".

Here is what is happening.  All messages which come from someone on the
"another-list" are processed perfectly.  That is, Listserv properly sees
that those people are an Editor, and processes the message, distributing
it to everyone.

But when a message comes in from someone else, Listserv properly sends it
to the moderators (again, correctly dividing the load).  The moderator
"bounces" (to use pine/elm terminology) the message back to the Listserv
list to approve the message.  Note that "bouncing" a message keeps the
original headers intact, adding a Resent-From: <moderator's address>.

In the past, Listserv has utilized the Resent-From: header tag to verify
the message was approved by a moderator and processed the message.

However, what is happening now is that when a moderator bounces the
message back to the Listserv list, the message never gets distributed.
The only thing I, as the list owner, see is the "Daily error monitoring
report" which has the line:
                Last error: 5.0.0 X-Postfix; mail forwarding loop for

Note that mid-June is about the time frame when our system administrators
upgraded Listserv to 14.5....   I had them send me a portion of the
listserv logs, but all it showed was the messages that had been processed
correctly (messages that were from the one of the 'Editors' directly).

I suspect that using Listserv like I am is fairly unusual, so this might
be something new.

Any ideas?

Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Computer Systems Manager               MSN IM: [log in to unmask]
Department of Physics                      ph: 979-845-7801
Texas A&M University                      fax: 979-845-2590