"Fitzmaurice, Frank CIV OGC" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:08:30 -0400
I posted the original message in this thread. What I am looking for is notification when a subscriber does not receive a message (permanent error). We need to investigate each case since this a distribution list and it is critical that all parties receive the announcements. What I am trying to avoid are messages short of a complete delivery failure to cut down on work load. Does Listserv attempt to resend a message if it gets an initial failure?

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of John Lyon
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 16:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Auto-Delete

> What exactly is meant by "monitored".

Once a permanent error is received for a subscriber, LISTSERV records
that address and keeps track of it for 20 days (in this case).

> If passive probing is disabled (see
> below), a max(2) setting will unsubscribe an invalid address IF there is
> at least 2 list distributions within 20 days?

Correct, providing the two bounces are permanent and are in a format that
LISTSERV can understand.  Passive probing really has nothing to do with
this except you may be more likely to get a bounce with Probing than
without. Probing is for those mailers which bounce messages in a non-
standard format. With a probe bounce, LISTSERV can determine the list and
subscriber address when it could not otherwise.

> In other words, given the
> below example, if the list only goes out once every 30 days, bad addresses
> will not be unsubscribed correct?
>
>  Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(20),Max(2),Probe(0)

Correct. That is why using the proper settings for the posting habits of
a particular list is so important. If not setup correctly, either the
Auto-Delete feature will not work at all, or subscribers are not given a
proper chance if there ISP had temporary difficulties.

With a list that only posts once per month, you would probably want to
use something like:

Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(92),Max(3)
This will afford them 3 bounces before being snuffed.

In your original example, I assumed 3 messages posted per month split
over maybe every 10 days. Of course you might post 3 messages on the 27,
28 and 29th of each month. Then of course you would want to use this:

 Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(31),Max(2 or 3),Probe(5)

Again, you must know and set this for the posting habits of the list for
it to work as you need/want.