Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Mar 1992 11:21:00 EST
	Earlier today, Duane Weaver asked:

> What do other list owners/ LISTSERV postmasters do in handling rejection
> mail?   If the rejection mail is for a Internet site, do you try PINGing
> the host site?

     I usually ignore a single bounced mail message, but after
receiving several, I simply set the subscriber to "nomail" and wait
for her/him either to contact me or to reset the subscription to "mail."
My list, WMST-L, is fairly active (averaging 10-20 messages per day),
so subscribers would be likely to notice a sudden stoppage.  My
practice might not work so well on a less active list.

     As for PINGing the host site, I'm on a VAX/VMS system (though the
list is on an IBM), and I don't think I can PING (at least the one
or two times I tried, the computer didn't seem to know what I was
talking about--which made two of us!).

	Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc