Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:04:42 -0500
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Mitch Arnowitz wrote:

>Hi all--
>
>The following came into my list, a message.txt was attached
>to this post. The list has the following settings: Attachments= No,
>Filter. I am using version 1.8d.
>
>Can someone explain what this means and how an attachment
>can hit the list. Txs, Mitch
>
>>>The Microsoft Exchange Server received an Internet message that
>could not be processed. To view the original message content, open
>the attached message.<<

I don't know exactly what this means, except that the Exchange server
bounced the message and is not telling you why.  Maybe looking at the
attached message would give you a clue (although in my own test
Exchange modified the original message headers before sending it back
to me).

When I deliberately sent a message to a non-existent user at the
Exchange server here at the university, it sent back a message saying
"The recipient name is not recognized".

Exchange definitely sends the original message back as an attachment
(after modifying the original message headers to its own tastes  <grrrr>).

Are *message* attachments automatically blocked when the "Attachments=
No" setting is used?  The manual doesn't say...implying that they
are...but Groupwise forwards messages *only* as attachments (Groupwise
users have no other choice) so blocking message attachments would
prevent them from forwarding anything to the list...so I would have to
ask whether having the attached message included in the post
distributed to listmembers is in fact by error or by design.

And why was the bounce sent to the list address?  Is MS Exchange
another one of those brain-damaged mail servers that sends bounces to
something other than the "Return-Path:" address?

Dennis