Wed, 5 Apr 1995 10:46:33 -0700
>This person posts from the usenet side of the gateway, (HWY61-L
>is a gated list.) He's really unusually meanspirited, posting some
>extraordinarily homophobic junk.
>
>I really don't want to filter on content - I love free speech and all.

Throw him the hell off.  There is a popular misconception that free speech
requires that each and every person with an opinion to express receive the
megaphone and podium of his choice.  This is an error.  Nor does freedom of
speech mean that a given person has the freedom to inflict his speech on
those who don't care to listen to it.  Sitting on a person's chest until
you've had your say is assault, not the exercise of free speech.

If he wants the freedom to express whatever wrongheaded views he cares to,
he should start his own mailing list.  Anyone who cares to listen to him
can subscribe.

The corollary is that freedom of the press doesn't mean I have to let _you_
use _my_ press.

--
Lefty [gYon-Pa] <[log in to unmask]>