Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:39:49 -0400
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Ronald W. Kriesel wrote:

> I'm also curious why you've opted not to go with Majordomo or one of the
> others.

        I run a large, active list on Listserv and a small, sleepy list
on Majordomo, so I've had a chance to compare the two programs.  Listserv
offers many valuable features that Majordomo does not.  For example, the
ability to set individual subscribers to REVIEW while leaving most subscribers
able to post directly to the list (great for dealing with the clueless).
The ability to prevent problematic addresses or even domains from subscribing
to the list.  The ability to do fairly complex searches of the logfiles.
A subscriber's being able to stop mail temporarily without signing off the
list.  Etc. etc.  I can't imagine running my large, active list on
Majordomo.  Or rather, I CAN imagine it, and what I imagine is catastrophic.

> What advice do you have for someone wanting to start a list when he doesn't
> know beans about it?  Forget it?

        If you can find a host with a competent, experienced technical
staff, your lack of knowledge shouldn't be a problem.  Of course, I'm
assuming that you have more than a few weeks' experience of being on a
list.  If you don't, I'd wait a while, join some lists, and get a feeling
for the way(s) lists are run.

        Good luck!

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                              [log in to unmask]           *
*    University of Maryland, Baltimore County                               *
*    Baltimore, MD 21250                        http://www.umbc.edu/wmst/   *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *