Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:13:17 EDT
Judy --  Good for you for being persistent!

Looked around and found a message mentioning 7 bit in the header, to
give you an idea of what needs to be tinkered with to change the
situation.

The first 127 characters are us ascii. They can all be "described" with
7 bits -- 7 on/offs, 7 0s and 1s ... :-) Characters from 128 to
256 are graphics characters, and are 8 bit characters. Graphics type
characters, characters used in other languages like accent grave etc.

Certain character sets are 8 bit -- for instance keyboards with
characters for anything other than us ascii.

(I feel like one of the blind people trying to describe the elephant...)

Check out this header from a message I rec'd:

>From:   MX%"[log in to unmask]"
>To:     MX%"[log in to unmask]"

>Subj:   new cd

>Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1997 20:09:05 -0700
>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: new cd

The above is where the user would have to change his settings to 7 bit
in his mail configuration. BTW, The "content-type" would be different in
8 bit as well -- a different character set.

Hey -- good luck Judy.  :-)

Maureen "I can't tell you what it is but here's how to change it" LeBlanc