David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:09:41 -0500
On 1/10/06, Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2006 at 10:54, David Phillips <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > But why is ListServ altering the returnpath in the firstplace?
>
> The return path is where bounces go to. Do you want LISTSERV to
> handle bounces for you or do you want bounces to go to each person
> who posts to the list? (Hopefully, you are cringing at the very
> thought and I don't need to say more about that).

You're right that we don't want bounces going to subscribers, but I'm
still confused.

(continued below)

> > I'll
> > have to go lookup sender validation, but even if a '+' was used,
> > rather than the '*', that's still not a real email address.
>
> It is a real email address in LISTSERV. It's where bounces go to for
> that email address on that list. I have no idea why PostFix would
> refuse addresses with '*' in them. According to RFC822, they are
> perfectly legit. As a matter of fact, we have Postfix running on one
> of our development servers and it works just fine. I suspect it must
> be a configuration problem, but I can't help you with Postfix
> configuration.

I probably explained poorly.

With mail-merge on:
1. mail is going out just fine to nearly every subscriber.
2. One ISP, verizon.net, is bouncing these emails.  We get a relaying
not allowed message, then a bounced message in our postfix logs.
Verizon.net is the only ISP that's bouncing right now.

With mail-merge off:
1.  We have no problems with sending email to any of our subscribers
2.  Verizon gives us no problems.

The only difference we've been able to spot is the difference in the
Return-Path header field.

We do NOT know, however, if that difference is the actual cause of
verizon refusing us.

The errors we see in our postfix log, when mail-merge is on, are:
Jan  7 04:01:06 shelmerston postfix/smtp[3952]: E6B2C73E73:
to=<[redacted]@VERIZON.NET>, relay=relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11],