Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:23:56 +0100
It should have  be done in a scripting language  (like, say, LISTDB MEMO)
from which you can  generate all the formats you want  from plain text to
fancy printout. However,  secretaries and technical writers  tend to have
no idea  how one  would use  SCRIPT or equivalent.  Several years  ago we
decided that we  needed a standard format for documentation  work so that
we didn't end up with a big  mess with everyone using a different program
and  only knowing  this particular  program, and  we chose  Word for  the
obvious reasons. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get decent ASCII output out
of Word, to the  point that I spent several days writing  a program to do
this the  second time  I had to  convert a large  Word document  to plain
text. The program is a kludge  based on my typographic conventions but it
took less time to write it than it would have taken to do it manually.

  Eric