Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 12:00:00 PST
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995 11:58:36 -0100, Danilo Curci <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In the last week I received e-mail to and from the [log in to unmask]
>several times in a bad way, re-transmitted from other addresses.
>I noticed that, at the end, my messages have been received from the list,
>since I received a reply... I don't understand what is happening.

Include a copy, with all the "headers", of such a message,
in order to allow us to analyze the specific problem.

>The second question is that some members of the list reply to messages
>I never sent, like this:
>
>>Farewell message:
>>Subject: Follow up on Arco signoff
>>I'd like to know how you liked the Arco list, how long you
>>were a subscriber, how you heard about the list, why you
>>unsubscribed, and any other comments.  If you use your
>>mail reader to "reply" to this message, I will receive your post.
>>Thanks in advance.  D.
>
>I never signed mails with D. (Who is he? Is it an automatic message?)

The co-owner of ARCO is 'DRZ@PSUVM', so that could be 'D.R.Z.'.
Sending an 'INDEX ARCO' command to 'LISTSERV@SJUVM' lists the "automatic" files:

*  Misc Files
*                             rec               last - change
* filename filetype   GET PUT -fm lrecl nrecs   date     time   Remarks
* -------- --------   --- --- --- ----- ----- -------- -------- ---------------
  ARCO     WELCOME    ALL OWN V      60    94 95/10/24 12:45:24 Welcome
  ARCO     FAREWELL   ALL OWN V      60    14 95/10/24 12:46:19 Farewell

So, when a subscriber sends a 'SIGNOFF ARCO' command,
LISTSERV sends the file 'ARCO FAREWALL' to that person.
The text you quote is contained in that file.

>Another member wrotes:
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: Your request to sign off the ARCO list
>>UNSUB ....
>It seems a reply to someone who requested the member of the list to signoff
>(NOT I !)

Some person sent E-mail to 'LISTSERV' with the 'SIGNOFF ARCO' command
in the "body" of the E-mail.  LISTSERV could not(!!!) find that person's ID
on the subscriber-list, and sent E-mail to that person, using the text
'Your request to sign off the ARCO list' in the "Subject:" line in the E-mail
it generated.  When that person replied to the message, the E-mail was
sent to the 'ARCO-request' ID, and LISTSERV reroutes that E-mail to each
person listed as an "owner" of the ARCO mailing-list.  So, you got a copy.
Try to find an approximate-match for the ID, and remove the ID from the list.