Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:21:15 -0600
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:43:37 -0500, "Bob Pedersen, Computer Support Services"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Our organization has started a LISTSERV to replace the internal VMSMAIL
>distribution list for all staff.  The goal is to encourage two-way discussion
>and to build an archive of postings.
>
>We would like to be able to make the archives available to all staff but not
>to the public at large.  However, we anticipate that many staff, faced with the
>hurdle of registering and using a personal password, would not bother.  This is
>not acceptable.
>
>We do have an intranet.  Can I put the archive on the intranet server (thus
>effectively blocking outside access)?  Or, is there a better way of handling
>this?
>
>We are running a recent build of 1.8d running on WinNT4.0/Intel.

I don't know if this feature is yet available in the latest publicly available
1.8d kit.  We do have it on a later in-house version, but it may be the trick
for you:

archive interface. (This applies only to the web archive interface and is
ignored for any other purpose.) This is implemented as follows:

Notebook= ...,Service

"Service=" can contain entries of the form:

[^]IP(a.b.c.d[/e])

For any other keyword in "Service=" which contains neither period, wildcard
nor parentheses, if a site configuration variable called IP_xxx is defined, it
is processed using the syntax in #2, except that the IP() is implicit, i.e.,
the syntax would be (for unix, no quotes for NT as usual):

IP_LOCAL="192.36.125.0/24 ^192.36.125.199"

If both #2 and #3 are present, they are combined. Likewise, you can have
multiple occurrences of #2 or #3 and they will just be combined.

Access will be granted if the IP address matches at least one of the entries
that do not begin with a ^ (you can also use a minus sign if you prefer) AND
the IP address does not match any of the negative entries. Otherwise you get a
normal login request without any further comment.