Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 09:01:10 GMT
Joseph B. Stanford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  When I get a subscription request, I send a "form letter" back to
> the potential subscriber, asking them to send me a paragraph about
> themself, their professional background, and their interest in the list.
> (If I add them to the list, I forward their response to the list to
> "introduce" them to the list.  This is a popular networking feature on my
> list.)

Dear Mr. Stanford & Seniors,
Your idea sounds very positive from the operative side, but is it
legal to forward such information to the entire list ?

- Wouldn't that be objected by the information act ?
- Isn't it necessary to ask whether the individual would like his
  personal info being forwarded to the community ?
- Is not better to ask the new subscriber to introduce itself
  <which we do and only a few go ahead> ?

By the way, our new flags (sub=by_owner, private) and "rules of
engagement" (enclosed below, any suggestions/criticism is most
welcome) implied: Out of 611 subscribers: 0.3% defined me "Jury,
Judge and Executioner", "Censor" and "Cyberspace inqvisitor";
1.3 % in favor. 98+% silent. Is this normal ?.

I want to thank in public my Systems Operator in Stockholm <Eric
Thomas>, The Greatest One! :-)

Thanks again to all Seniors for your valuable advice.
    Aldo-P. <FISH-ECOLOGY>

   from our new welcome file

   [...]
   Communications through FISH-ECOLOGY may be informal. However, the
   network _is for_ professional discussions which  may enhance the
   productivity of members in their research, advice and studies.

   It is  suggested that  Senior scientists  and advisors  moderate
   discussions  when  these   touch  their  fields   of  expertise.
   Furthermore, well documented/informed posters are  expected from
   Junior researchers and undergraduate students.

   The FISH-ECOLOGY management will object the  publication in this
   network of  _undocumented and  unprofessional  offenses_ on  the
   integrity of  established  scientific/advicing institutions  and
   individuals. If  certain issues  may  be controversial,  please,
   check facts and sources before posting anything  to the network.
   It is suggested  to call  for the  expertise of  members in  the
   network _before_ posting information which may be inaccurate.

   All _criticism_ must necessarily follow  a logical argumentation
   and meet academic standards.

   Neither flames whatsoever  nor offenses of  any type  nor vulgar
   language  usage  are  desired  in   FISH-ECOLOGY.  Also,  issues
   addressing political  agendas  are  to  be  excluded  from  this
   network. If these particular rules are violated  at anytime, the
   FISH-ECOLOGY management shall object it.
   Those rules are set up to safeguard the sources which have joined
   FISH-ECOLOGY and  to  keep  this  medium  free  from  particular
   selfinterests beyond the purposes  claimed by the  network (i.e.
   the scientific discussion on  the ecology of fish  and fisheries
   and related topics).