PATRICK WILKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 02:37:38 +1000
> Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot of the list owners are very
> paranoid about who subscribes to their lists?  I have followed this
> thread for a few days now, and have not seen one single 'act' that
> justifies the deletions and the filtering that I am seeing. For someone
> to be 'filtered', don't they have to perform some kind of act of
> hostility or extreem rudeness?  When has this happened?  Sure, the
> subscription names look suspicious, but since when has that been cause
> for alarm?  Are we censors?  If we delete subscriptions because they
> look suspicious, shouldn't we talk to the subscriber, first?

At a guess I would say its just you. I personally think its worrying when
someone subscribes 8 or more times to my list and many totally unrelated
addresses under false identities.

If some of the addresses are real the person might be trying to create a
real headache for the people that are subscribed without their knowledge.
In effect mailbomb them. I find it suspicious that several of the
addresses were to root accounts.

On the other hand if the addresses were false then its a real headache
for us to determine whether the addresses are bad and then delete them.
How much time has already been wasted on this?

best wishes,

patrick