Susan Lowell <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:49:36 -0400
(quips from related previous postings appear below)

I think of this as a very delicate issue, but the reality is that 1) in
the last year or so many lists have been booted from their original
sites and 2) hosting a list costs somebody somewhere something.  The
banner option is one way that a list can get sponsorship, and yes,
this is definitely advertising, but at least it is controlled advertising.
To me it's no different that when they mention the sponsors on PBS or NPR
shows.  I'm not thrilled, but again, somebody has to pay and this can be
one way to get the funds necessary to even have a list.

Most listowners I've spoken with say that they want to have a list so
badly that they're quite willing to allow a "this list is hosted by xxxx,
to unsub..." bottom banner message.  For many of these people, there's no
other way for them to have a list without paying for it themselves.

I agree that it's nicer to be on a list where there's no advertising in
the bottom banner, but those who are offended have options: they can
sponsor the list themselves, they can find someone who's willing to
sponsor the list for free with no ads, they can leave the list, or they
can start their own list on the same subject but without the ads.

My feelings and opinions--don't blame L-Soft

Susan Lowell
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
L-Soft international, Inc.
(owner songtalk, hampshire)