LettProctor <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 07:05:47 -0400
 I am hoping to use TOPICS to set up a sublist on my list for book
discussion.  According to the manual, use of TOPICS is recommended for an
edited list (which mine is not) but as I understand it and wish to use it,
this option should work for my purposes on an unedited list as well.
          I'd appreciate some clarification if I have misunderstood the
documentation (as well as pointers in a more appropriate direction if there
is one) but if a message correctly has the name of the TOPIC as the first
text after the colon in the SUBJECT field, shouldn't only subscribers who
have that particular topic as one of their subscription options receive that
particular message?  (In testing this I have sent mail to the entire list!)

         And, subscribing to a specific topic should not foreclose receiving
general mail sent to the list, correct?   For subscribers to the sublist:
TOPICS= Books, Al l; for nonsubscribers to the sublist, once TOPICS are
enabled, is it then necessary for me to add TOPICS= All for their subscriptions?

    Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Lett Proctor