Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:41:29 -0400
You can put  "ok begin" as the first line of your mail, then the ADD
commands, then "ok end" as the last line of your mail, to get just one
confirmation for the batch of commands.  This is in the documentation.

You can't get a confirmation from the subscriber for administrative
adds.  You add them, they are on the list, that is it.  If you want them
to go through the confirmation process, then have them initiate the
SUBSCRIBE via email or using the web interface archive page for the
list.  Or you can use the "join the list" option on the web interface to
initiate a SUBSCRIBE on their behalf, they will be sent the confirmation
request message - but you will have to do a lot of typing.

Review your server log files, or ask the site administrator to check
for you, to discover whether or not the WELCOME messages were sent, and
what your site mail handler software did with them, or what the
destination site mail handler "said" when delivery was attempted.  Try
adding yourself in the same manner, and see whether or not you receive
the Welcome and "you have been added" notices.  You are correct that a
"quiet add" will prevent sending a Welcome message, or any other
notification, to the subscriber.  Note that if a list-owner is ADDed to
a list they own, they are NOT sent a copy of their own Welcome message,
but do get the "you have been added" notice.

Hello,

I am trying to subscribe a batch of 30 people to lists via a single
email message.  The message contains an ADD command for each
subscriber-list combination.  E.g.:

ADD listname1 email_address1 fname1 lname1
ADD listname2 email_address2 fname2 lname2
etc

The email is being sent from an account that has admin priveleges on
the listserv server.  This account is not the same as the list
owner/maintainer.  Note that I did not supply a password and did not get
a msg indicating that I needed to.

I'm having some problems:
1.  I get a return message for each ADD asking me (admin) to confirm
that I want to add that person.  This is a problem because the whole
point of batching the subscriptions is that it is automated and doesn't
require admin intervention to accomplish.  Note that I tried included
//x JOB REPLY-TO=NONE before the ADD commands (with and without).  Also
note that I can't make the commands QUIET (I dont think) because I need
a welcome message to be sent to the subscribers.  I would also like to
require a confirmation email from the subscribers.

2.  Even after confirming that I want to ADD the subscriber (by
clicking on the weblink) and receiving a message indicating that I have
successfully added that person, the subscriber whose email was listed in
the ADD command never receives a welcome to the list message.

Finally, the lists have these settings:
Validate =  Yes, Confirm
Subscription = Open, Confirm

Any help would be much appreciated.