Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:33:13 -0500
> If things were only that black and white.
>
> Not all lists are discussion lists; not all senders or recipients are
human beings -- some bar "batch" processes.

> Not all solutions are bullet-proof, not that any are.

If this means that you can suggest cases where it's better to set the
the Reply-To: field the originator obviously prefers, I'd be genuinely
interested in understanding how those arise.

If you were expanding the scope of my comment to other contexts, I agree
that it is not necessarily applicable in all cases.

The case in question was one in which we are choosing between two fields,
both supplied by the incoming post, and one clearly preferred by the
originator. Any source which cannot be trusted to make that choice
appropriately should be excluded from posting to the list by some mechanism:
filters, NOPOST or NOEDITOR options, etc.

Hal Keen