"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:00:31 -0500
Pete wrote:

>Alperin, Glenn wrote:
>>
>> >------------snip-----------Is there any way to
>> >get it to send such a messae as multiple paragraphs?
>                                        Jason Rasku
>>
>>-------snip------
>>  Make sure that you have physically pressed the
>> Return or Enter key after every 70 lines or so.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PR
>You say '70 lines' but don't you mean '70 spaces'?
>``````````````````````````````````

Yesterday was a difficult day for me.  Yes, I ment '70 spaces', but
probabaly more accurate to say '70 characters'.

>> As it turns out, most mailers
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PR
>Mailers:  Do you know of any for the Mac?  I'm using Netscape 2.0
>now and switching over to Communicator any moment now.

Netscape mailers are notorious for not parsing lines properly.  You could
very easily send me a message I would be unable to read from one of those.
 Personally, I have also experienced problems communicating with people
who use Eudora and a few other programs as well.  In addition, as it turns
out, the VMS operating system seems to require CR/LF pairs at the end of
every line (at least from the assorted help files I have looked at, that
is what I found out) and some mail programs seem to use only one of the
two.

If I were going to choose a mailer to be totally compliant with this sort
of thing, I'd choose one already built into a server, like PINE or ELM.  I
seem to have no problems at all with those mailers.  Now, if only I could
configure my account to use one of them....neither is offered as a
software package on our systems here at Drew.

>Pete

Glenn