"Kathryn Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Mar 1992 21:45:22 EST
On Wed, 11 Mar 1992 10:04:29 EST Duane D. Weaver said:

>What do other list owners/ LISTSERV postmasters do in handling rejection
>mail?   If the rejection mail is for a Internet site, do you try PINGing
>the host site?

Answer from a non-techie owner of one relatively small list:  since I don't
have the overwhelming number of problems that you do, I can afford to take
the time to try to help listmembers out - and in so doing to go out pestering
busy postmasters at other sites!  True enough that unknown user messages may
just be temporary glitches; true enough that bounced mail creates an unneces-
sary burden on the net; but I normally err on the side of giving the member
the benefit of the doubt.   I suspect that, over-all, listowner response to
bounced mail is very much dependent upon the situation.

I'm interested in PINGing Internet sites.  Never heard tell of such a thing.
Could you explain, please?  The Internet continues to baffle me.

Kathryn Wright
Indiana State University
LIBKAT@INDST  or  [log in to unmask]