Tom Cervenka <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Feb 1992 23:00:44 -0500
 >> If I change the SEND=PUBLIC to SEND=PRIVATE that should stop listservfrom
 >> distributing mail from persons not subscribed to the list, right? Since
 >> mailers don't normally subscribe to lists they wouldn't be able to bounce
 >> crap back to the whole list.
 >>
 >It will not stop LISTSERV from distributing mail to the "bad" IDs.
 >That's not how LISTSERV works.  What happens is: ...

 Ok, I think I follow. I don't want to push the problem off to someone else
 but I do want to get rid of it.

 >What sort of problems are you trying to correct?

 The problem in which mail is sent to a subscriber and the mail system that he
 is on returns a note to the list because it can't get the mail through. This
 happens at least once for each piece of mail being distributed so it can
 happen almost 50 times a day. At 900+ subscribers, this also seems to occur
 with different accounts 2 to 3 times a month.

 Listserv seems to fail more thatn succeed in catching this problem. Also, my
 original idea of setting SEND=PRIVATE is causing problems because some people
 are in the list under slightly different accounts then the one in the header
 when they send mail and thus get rejected. For instance, "joe@bit1" is in the
 list as such but mail from him is address from "[log in to unmask]" and when
 SEND=PRIVATE he gets rejected when posting. I think this happens when people
 subscribe via a tell command instead of sending mail.

 Tom Cervenka - Univ of Il at Chicago, Info Cntr, Phone 6-7739
 Internet: ctct100icvmc.aiss.uiuc.edu