Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:12:51 -0700
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:34:23 -0500, Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A subscriber to one of our lists asked about this.  I know nothing about it.  Is it possible?

SMS (Short Message Service) is the kind of short message some of you get on your
cell phone.   As long as your cellphone has a regular email address then yes,
you can subscribe it to a LISTSERV list.  Neither LISTSERV nor its outbound mail
server 'knows' that your address is an SMS destination.  They simply send mail
to another address.  The receiving mail server transforms the message and
forwards it as an SMS message to your phone.