Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:20:16 -0400
At 22:59 10/22/96 GMT, you wrote:

>> Thank you for your report of a network abuse (including spamming and
>> spoofing).  We do not filter or scan traffic based on content.
>> As a transport provider, the actual content of the data traversing
>> the network is the originators responsibility.  As a result, we have
>> no means of detecting or obtaining evidence of illegal activity.
>> If you feel that you have evidence of unlawful use of the network,
>> please contact your local state or federal authorities.
>>
>> Sprint provides the network to Internet Service Providers and relies
>> on the individual ISPs to police their network appropriately.  If you
>> have an issue with the data that is being sourced from a provider
>> please contact the provider.  You can find most information for
>> contacting providers through the internic.

I don't call this uncooperative at all; I call it defending yourself againt
prosecution for the content of subscribers' mail.
Prodigy was hit a few years ago with a libel suit for the content of an
email message. The court ruled Prodigy liable, since they screened email.
The judge's logic was "if you're screening email on one basis, you can't
claim ignorance in another".
Sprint is simply maintaining a hands off mode.

Anyway, is this truly their official policy on spam or email harassment?
Their message talks about *them* screening email. If one of their users is
spamming creation, will they cancel the user's account if they get enough
complaints?

Playing Devil's advocate,
Philo
--
Philo                     http://www.radix.net/~philo
[log in to unmask]           2E Georgetown Law