Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:04:33 -0700
At 12:14 PM 12/11/98 +1000, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I was at a big gathering and saw a group of embroiderers, all women, sit
>down and start talking.  One of them said "Hey, guys", and they all
>responded.  If that doesn't mean that gender emphasis in language is dying,
>then I don't know what does.

Actually that is one of the words I take offense at, particularly when it
is used by a server (waitperson, waiter, waitress, etc.) in  a nice
restaurant.   If I'm having a cold one with my buddies, and the one who is
buying or serving says "What'll you guys have to drink?", that is fine.
When I'm in a fine restaurant (minimum $50 per person plus drinks) and the
server comes up and says "What'll you guys have to drink?" to my wife and
me, I get ready to walk out.   I'll usually stay, but will certainly speak
up to the server and/or the manager.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/