Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:53:54 +1000
>Does anybody know of a package/solution that would allow one, using their
>own
>private web server, to handle listserv archive files for
searching/reading?
>via Apachee, etc.

Why not just use the in-built search feature of the LISTSERV web interface?
 No jiggery-pokery is required and as long as the web interface is
operating the search function Just Plain Works.

Setting up your own search mechanism would be quite painful.  This would,
at minimum, require local or network access to the Notebook files for
indexing and searching in realtime.  (List Owners normally don't have this
kind of access.)

I suppose you could always GET a Notebook by e-mail and store on your own
machine for indexing but this would mean there's a latency between your
copy and the one in LISTSERV.

Also, you would need to have some way to intelligently drag the information
out of the Notebook and format it for display in a browser window.
Notebooks are only big blocks of plain-text, not pre-formatted HTML or
anything like that.  Coming up with a process that would be able to find
the entire block of text that constitutes one e-mail and then displaying it
nicely is an exercise left to the reader.

Sorry to be discouraging but I don't think there's a way you can do this.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.