Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Nov 1993 18:39:22 +0100
On Mon, 15 Nov 1993 11:27:49 -0600 Fred Kemp <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Furthermore, with the  announced termination of backbone  service by USC
>and Cornell in July, the entire future of Bitnet is extremely doubtful.

USC has  already left the core,  and was replaced with  ARIZVM1. I didn't
know that Cornell was leaving BITNET.  I'm not saying it's not true, just
that I have not heard about it.

>There is not enough computational resources to continue LISTSERV traffic
>with the removal of these core nodes."

I frankly  don't understand what  this is supposed  to mean. There  is no
relationship between the  structure of the BITNET core and  the amount of
CPU time  or disk space  used up by  LISTSERV, unless you  start counting
individual  kilobytes. There  is  a  version of  LISTSERV  that can  work
without NJE.  L-Soft announced a joint  study a couple weeks  ago through
which this new version will be  tested in production on several sites. It
will definitely be  available by July; all the code  has been written, it
just  needs  to be  tested  in  a  real-life  situation and  debugged  as
necessary.

  Eric