Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:17:51 -0600
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:01:12 -0400, TheGolem <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My mistake. I should go back to the manual. It appears that only 14 topics
>can be turned on at one time (plus OTHER). That must be mentioned in the
>manual? Anyway, when I eliminated one of them, all the boxes were then
>checked.

LISTSERV 1.8d (released 1 March 1999) allows 23 topics.  This is an increase
over 1.8c and earlier versions of LISTSERV which allowed only 11.

>When I attempt
>to override with Default-Topics= ALL,+VIEW,-OTHER
>it still is not unchecked.

This is not correct syntax for the List Header.

In the List Header the syntax is

If you want ALL then:

 Default-Topics= All

If you have 6 topics and you only want to select 4 + Other, then:

 Default-Topics=  topic1, topic2, topic3, topic6, Other

If you have 6 topics and you only want to select 3, then:

 Default-Topics=  topic1, topic3, topic5

i.e. unless you want ALL, then you must explicitly declare each topic by itself.
(you may do so in any order, but it is usually most convenient if the order is
the same as the Topics= definition.  You may not use  the +/- modifiers in the
List Header specification.