Pratik Dave <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:54:25 -0500
In message <Pine.GSO.4.44.0307202234580.17416-100000@artemis> you write:
> Pine uses the "Stsus:" header. Usually, this will read:
> It's likely not LISTSERV that's causing the problem... it may be a corrupt
> mailbox or some MUA that has its own "Status:" header (which none should)
> that Pine cannot understand.

Thanks Douglas. I'm just trying to make sure I understand here, but if
I understand this correctly:

1. The machine running the listserv is mailing the email message
properly (i.e. there's no status line as part of the message data at
the time of SMTP delivery).

2. The server receiving the message internally inserts the status
header line. Is this done by the smtp daemon and incorporated into the
message saved into the mailstore (i.e. /var/mail in this case) - it
doesn't seem to be there? Or is the status header appended by a pop
daemon upon its first parsing of a mail box or something?

3. Then, the user's mail agent (say pine in this instance) is merely
parsing the Status line which is incorrectly set already? Or could it
be that pine is messing up on the listserv messages (perhaps because
they have been redirected and contain stale headers already?)

Can I have listserv append a status line itself by changing the
header-type setting on a per-user/default-for-list basis? (I.e. Do you
know if it's part of the SMTP rfcs?)

I'm loathe to tell people that's it's not something I can fix without
at least being able to point them in the right direction to fix the
problem.

Thanks again,

Pratik