"Ingrid H. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:57:02 -0500
This is not a listserv problem; however could Peter Weiss or one of
the other experts on this list come to our assistance.

I teach at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.  Our Hostname is
MNERCUR.USAO.EDU and we have TWO addresses, 192.146.206.5 (VAX applications)
and 192.146.206.1 (presumably the router to act as name server).  No one
now knows why we are set up this way.  If you run whois on the ...1
address you find that it was last updated in 1992 and shows a Macintosh
running some unknown operating system.   The ...5 address gives correct
current information.

When whois is run on the Domain Name, USAO.EDU, Domain servers in listed
order are ZOO.BACKBONE.OU.EDU 129.15.1.102 (the University of Oklahoma
which is in no way associated with us) and NMSVR.USAO.EDU, 192.146.206.1--
which is our actual address. Apparently, when information is routed
to ZOO.BACKBONE it tends to get stuck, and since that address is listed
as PRIMARY DNS, the system looks no further and doesn't even locate
our functioning Domain server.

Our computer systems administrator is Lynn Boyce who took over after
our previous administrator left a couple of years ago.  She has been
trying to unravel this mess.  Neither OU nor InterNIC has been of
assistance.  In the meantime our access to Internet is constantly
interrupted by DNS problems.  We presume this is caused by this
dual and confusing registration but have been unable to find a live person
to see to it that the registration is updated.  I told Lynn that
I would enlist your help.  Is there someone with InterNIC Lynn could
contact to get this corrected.

BTW, Peter, that's why I use the numerical IP address in my homepage URL . . .

Thank you very much,

Ingrid Shafer