"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Aug 1994 13:21:00 EDT
>A listowner does not inherently have the authority to "use" this tag.
>The tag is part of a node's (ex, DRYCAS, aka drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu)
>BITEARN NODES entry, and is maintained by the node's registered Node
>Administrator.  There are two options:  (1) the :internet tag is set,
>and indicates the corresponding internet name for a particular BITNET
>node, or (2) the :internet tag is not set, and does not indicate such
>a name.

Just to make sure everybody knows: setting the :INTERNET tag to a Fully
Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) does NOT register it (or make it valid)  in
the Domain Name System.  This is a separate and distinct (non-Bitnet)
operation.  The :INTERNET tag can be used for other Bitnet node aliases
(if I'm not mistaken).  I believe some of this discussion can be found
in the NODMGT-L notebook archives.  There used to be a report about
Bitnet nodes that had :INTERNET tags that were not accessible, or
otherwise FUBAR.

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "No joyriders on the Info Super Hiway!"+1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA