"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:04:39 -0700
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Winship wrote:
> when I see one I just change the name to get rid of the ad

So your approach is to manually clean up after Hotmail users, rather than
advising either the subscriber or Hotmail that something is amiss and have
them fix it?  I'd like to think that there is a way to fix either Hotmail
or my list configuration to handle this in an automated fashion.  I'd like
a way to avoid additional manual intervention.

From http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/user/user.html:

  "LISTSERV insists on having a "real world" name for everyone on
  the list, because addresses such as [log in to unmask] are not
  very informative to the other users of the list. Normally,
  LISTSERV will extract both your e-mail address and your real name
  from the mail headers generated by your computer."

Exactly which mail header does LISTSERV parse the user's name from?  The
"From" field, the "From:" field, the "Sender" field, another field, or
some combination of the above?  I'd like to approach Hotmail staff with a
suggestion to alter the way they set their headers to avoid this error in
parsing by LISTSERV.  This suggestion will be more likely to fail if I
cannot be specific about the necessary change.

Thank you,