Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:47:36 -0500
Douglas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I assume you have sub= by-owner.  If you are adding 40 - 50 per day,
>how many are you rejecting?  If you aren't rejecting a significant
>number of the subscription requests you could save yourself a lot
>of work by changing it to sub= open,confirm . And if you use notify=
>you will know whenever someone subscribes and if you have questions
>about that sub you can ask, if you don't like the answer, delete.

Besides the extra work subscription by owner has the downside that you have
no control over people subscribing other people unknowingly. The confirm
mechanism ensures that the address being subscribed is valid and the person
that receives mail at it wants to be subscribed. If you require a
questionnaire to be filled out, then the chance of this with subscription
by owner is low. But there are quite a few owners that get the request for
a subscription from the Listserv and just blindly add them to the list.

Don.