Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:22:25 -0500
> I just received this from one of our subscribers on IRWOLF-L (on
> apple.ease.lsoft.com, which is 1.8d, I think).  I have requested a copy
> of the whole message from her.  She had to unsubscribe to stop the probe
> failed messages.

We have encountered one mail system that seems to object to the
addresses used by LISTSERV with passive probing (and presumably active
probing too).  It's probably either the asterisks in the userid part of
the address, or just the overall length of the userid.  I'm not sure
which.  Anyway, it generates a bounce.  The only solution we know of is
to turn off probing.  The system is Banyan Mail, using the Banyan
gateway.  The good news is that Banyan Mail is discontinued, so it
should be going away.  The bad news is that it's discontinued, so it
isn't going to be fixed.