Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:01:06 -0400
> I guess what I don't understand is  why you need this in the first place.
> Presumably you have  a copy of the  info in your account.  So, instead of
> writing to LISTSERV with a GIVE  command, you can simply reply and insert
> the file in question.

1. Multiple list-owners -- they don't all have access to the file on my
personal account, but may need to send the current version of that file.
So there needs to be a commonly accessible master copy.  I guess we could
work to make sure that we closely coordinate the revisions of the several
local copies.  But that seems to be an inelegant solution compared to the
proposed alternative.

2.  Updates -- when they happen, I'd still need to update the single file
that's on my account and also edit the template within the larger MAILTPL
file.  Much easier if it were just one file.

An assumption that I have is that the INFO file/template may typically
need revisions semi-frequently as a list may evolve, in contrast to most
other templates which would likely be more static.  Therefore, revisions
to the INFO text ought to be easier than for the other static messages.
Thus my fundamental recommendation that the INFO text be in a separate
external file, outside of the MAILTPL.

-- Roger Burns    [log in to unmask]